Two main suspects in the murder of sixteen northern Nigerians in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government, last week have been taken into custody by Department of State Security operations.
The suspects were taken into custody by DSS agents in Uromi after receiving reliable intelligence, according to a statement made by Fred Itua, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Monday Okpehbolo.
He mentioned that agents from several security services were searching for other important suspects in the regrettable events.
He said, “Operatives of the Department of State Security have arrested two principal suspects involved in the killing of 16 Nigerians of northern extraction in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government last week.
“The suspects were arrested by operatives of the DSS in Uromi, following credible intelligence. Operatives of various security agencies are hunting for other key suspects involved in the unfortunate incidents.”
According to The Intercept, the two main suspects detained by DSS personnel have been sent to Abuja, the capital of the country, for additional questioning and prosecution by the appropriate authorities.
The 14 suspects detained in connection with the murders have been moved to Force headquarters while the investigation is ongoing, a source informed The Intercept.

He pointed out that the suspects’ relocation to Abuja complied with the Inspector-General of Police’s order.
“I can confirm to you that the suspects have been taken to Abuja as directed by the IGP and investigation into the matter is still ongoing.”
Itua also said he could not confirm if the compensation promised the family of the victim would be financial.
He, however, said the Edo and Kano governments were working together to fashion out a suitable compensation for the family of the victims.
“As you are aware, Governor Okpehbolo met with the Kano State Government and visited the families of the I6 people that were killed, where he promised compensation.
“I cannot say what form the compensation will take but both state governments are talking to ensure that the victims’ families are compensated.”
A resident of Uromi, who gave his name simply as Michael, said residents of the area, where the killings took place, were deserting their villages over fear of being arrested.
READ ALSO: Uromi Massacre: Edo Governor Okpebholo Vows Full Compensation for Victims’ Families
He stated that women thronged the Ojuromi of Uromi palace to protest the indiscriminate arrest of people in Uromi following the killings of the 16 travellers.
He said, “What is happening now is that people are leaving their houses where the killing took place for fear of being arrested by the police, who have been mandated to fish out all the culprits.
“I believe the protest by the women on Monday is in connection with the indiscriminate arrest of residents by security agencies.”
Meanwhile, the Edo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress has claimed that some major opposition political parties were planning to instigate a crisis in the state and make it ungovernable.
The state APC chairman, Jarret Tenebe, stated this during a news conference on Tuesday in Abuja.
“It has come to our attention that the leadership of some major opposition parties in our state, along with two others, has devised a reckless and dangerous plot to instigate crisis and make Edo ungovernable,” he said.
Tenebe alleged that the aim of those behind the plot was to force President Bola Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in the state.
“Their sinister objective is clear: they want to force President Bola Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in Edo, because they have no confidence in securing victory at the Edo Election Petition Tribunal.